#header-inner {background-position: center !important; width: 100% !important;}

Monday, December 9, 2013

The Lightning Thief Book Review


Percy Jackson and the Olympians in 
The Lightning Thief Book Review

 Goodread's Review

 Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school... again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus' master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect.

Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus' stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief: he must come to terms with the father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warns him of betrayal by a friend; and unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves.

 My Thoughts
     Ok so I FINALLY started on these series!! NO more putting it off! and i gotta say i enjoyed this book more than i thought i would. And i can't believe how much different the movie it from the book. So my next point is obvious.. I watched the movie before i read the book. And while reading the book i could tell several aspects of this book can be found, to a certain extent, in other stories. Percy learns that a world he thought was only from ancient mythological tales is indeed very much real and present, and that he is part of those "mythologies" now. He's got to learn about a new world and his place in it. He must face the fact that he's got to help save the world. And he gains a few friends to help him along the way.
That said, a good deal of the concepts are pretty standard for many tales, and are pretty necessary for this type of book. So, while at times I felt a little like I'd read these things before, I don't really think that should (or did) take too much away from the story.
The uniqueness of the story is helped greatly by the fact that it isn't a fantasy story like I typically consider fantasy - instead it focuses on mythology, dealing with titans and gods and heros.
I think the author did a pretty good job of making the characters 3-dimensional, and the plot multi-faceted. I did think that certain traits and decisions could have stood a little more exploration or explanation, but overall I felt things fit together well.
The only thing that really bothered me was the lightness that certain deaths were taken with. While the gravity of killing someone (no matter how bad) is touched upon, I didn't feel that it was explored quite enough.
All in all it's a pretty fun read, and I'm sure even more fun if you have a better understanding of gods and titans, etc., than I do - though now I must admit I'm curious to do some research! 


I started on The sea of Monsters yesterday and it's already promising!!  I can't belive i haven't read this series yet!! And i can't wait to meet Nico!! <3 

4 STARS!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Courtney, I read the Percy Jackson series last summer, and I got to tell you, it get's better with each book! Hope you will love the other ones!

    Bye,
    Myra
    http://imlovingbooks.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete